Monday, March 30, 2020

Bible Study-Beat the Heat

Text: Psalms 121:5

The world can get us overheated at times.

  • People and issues that come up in our own lives can get us all worked up.
-Spend time in the shade.

  • The Lord protects us (Psa 121)

"The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night." (Psa 121:5, 6)

-Hydrate

  • The next thing to do to cool off is to stay hydrated.
"As the hart Panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul Thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? (Psa 42:1-2)

-Hart/deer, panteth/long for desire, thirsteth/dryness-painful desire.

  • This week as I read in the scriptures I noticed answers to how I should and should not react in certain situations. God's word is light and instruction for our daily life.
"O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee; my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is (Psa 63:1, 63:1-3)
  • How David thirsted after God. Sometimes we can let our life get to the point where we are nat in his word and not trusting God. How sad and unfortunate. If we would just pant after God and his word. Stay in church, stay in the Word, and refresh ourselves daily. Be in prayer, talk to God. He is there with you (Heb 13:5)
-Slow down
  • Just slowing down can help us cool off (Jam 1:16-22)
"Wherefore my beloved brethren let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath." (Jam 1:19)

-Wrath/anger, superfluity/abundance
-Fan yourself
  • Allowing the Holy Spirit to work in you (Eph 3:13-19)
"That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man." (Eph 3:16)

-Avoid strenuous activity
  • What kind of things dehydrates us as Christians? what keeps us from reaching our full potential when it comes to serving Christ? Sin will burn you. Make your decisions ahead of time.
"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful. who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)

Conclusion: Do we expose ourselves to the extreme heat of sin? I know I need to get in and cool off in the shade. I need that cooling off and lifting up that only Christ can give. Let's all work on getting out of the heat and spending some time with Jesus in the shade.

GB
The Campbells

No comments:

Post a Comment